Monday, May 2, 2011

My Beloved Emma


While I was down at BYU Women's Conference last weekend (more on that later), I had the chance to meet Greg Olsen and Liz Lemon Swindle. They were there autographing their art work. I bought this painting that I love so much, I plan to redo our entire bedroom around it. Liz Lemon Swindle autographed it, which was cool, but the message of the painting is my favorite part. Here is what is written on the back:

"What unspeakable delight, and what transports of joy swelled my bosom, when I took by the hand, my beloved Emma- she that was my wife, even the wife of my youth, and the choice of my heart."
"Many were the reverberations of my mind when I contemplated for a moment the many scenes we had been called to pass through, the fatigues and the toils, the sorrows and sufferings and the joys and consolations..."
"Oh what commingling of thought filled my mind for the moment, again she is here, even in the seventh trouble, undaunted, firm, and unwavering- unchangeable, affectionate Emma."

Joseph Smith Jr.
How beautiful is that? I love the painting because in my opinion there are no greater examples of love, faith, patience, endurance, worthiness or humility than Joseph and Emma. She stood by him no matter what, and he loved her more than anything. Although their lives were filled with trial and sorrow, they were not divided. They stood together as one, and were blessed to know the goodness of God. Since that is the goal we have for ourselves, this painting represents for me the opportunity to make it happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment